Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Dexter, Rocky and other nightmares…



Last night I watched the most recent episode of DEXTER. This show is weird. How can a show bring me to sympathize and then cheer on a serial killer? Amazing! So amazing, in fact, that my wife couldn’t sleep after the show. She is haunted by Dexter. I am haunted by Dexter today. Is this the hallmark of good writing? That it stays with you for days? ? It’s the charm of Dexter. His needs are so universal: he fears intimacy, he is lonely and wants a friend to play with, he loathes his deep dark secret. And I feel like I can relate to some, if not all, of those. So he connects to me and then goes all woogy-boogy and kills people in a cold and connoisseur-like way. I am getting all freaky on this show. It is carving up my moral fiber and feeding it back to me with fava beans and chianti. If Michael C. Hall can be this intense as a serial killer, I wonder if he’ll ever go back to musicals. Ya we got trouble, my friend, right here, I say, trouble right here in River City….How can I ever watch this guy tap dance again?

Dexter’s world is strange but not as strange as this: ROCKY BALBOA is 60 years old and staging a come back. Yes sir, December 22nd brings us the latest installment of Sylvester Stallone’s ROCKY franchise. Now, I know what you’re saying: It’s pathetic, Sylvester trying to reinvigorate his career by resurrecting one of his only moments of quality. Surely, we all agree this franchise has been beaten to death? There are parallels in the story that jog along with Stallone himself. Rocky feels washed up and insignificant and Sylvester is probably feeling the same way. Although, Sly did rock in COP-LAND a few years back but aside from that he is in the StinkO file, that’s MR. STINKO to you, by the way. But the scariest thing about ROCKY BALBOA is not the baby boomer desperate attempt to be relevant again or the raping of a fiction franchise. No, the scary thing is that at 60 years old Stallone looks friggin’ better than I ever did. This alta-kacker, this geriatric can kick my ass. I watched one of the clips from the movie and I almost barfed from self pity. How the hell am I going to sleep with that on my mind?

Last, but not least, is Michael Richards on suicide watch yet? After his apology on Letterman I was thinking that maybe he needs a hug and lots of medication….lots. With Michael Richards’ screaming ‘Nigger’, geriatrics kicking my ass and Dexter killing his therapist…now I lay me down to sleep……


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]